Thursday, April 26, 2012

Mommy's Project 52:39 Flexible

Mommy's Project entries are a weekly thing that happen on Thursdays.  I have been late a couple times.

 Flexible

Me: Fred, we're having apples and bananas with juice for snack.
Fred: OK.
Me: Wait, we're out of juice, so we'll have water.
Fred: NO! YOU SAID JUICE, I WANT JUICE!

Not flexible

My hamstrings, also not flexible

At work.
Are you busy?  I need help getting this project done and it's due tomorrow.
Sure, I can help.

Flexible

Can we reschedule our play date for another day?  One of the kids is sick.
Sure!  Let's try next weekend.
Thanks!

Flexible.

I don't have the mental bandwidth to discuss whether I find myself to be a flexible person or not.  At least not with respect to flying by the seat of my pants vs being unable to change my plans as needs and circumstances change.  The world is a dynamic place, and everyone has to have some flexibility to some degree.  Even Fred.  Even when we're out of juice.  All I can say is that as a parent, the only thing you can count on is having to change plans at the drop of a hat.  And kids puking and pooping.  But that's not the point here.

Not only do I find myself in the midst of what some call adulthood, but I find my body mixed up in the whole mess, too.  I think my body decided to anticipate turning 40 well in advance so that by the time that happens (September, start shopping now), my mind would catch up.  Likelihood of this happening, slim.

Through physical therapy, I've discovered limited range of motion (lateral) in my right hip, my back is nearly stiff as a board, and it can take me several minutes to 'warm up' first thing in the morning or after sitting down for any length of time.  Honestly, I can't wait until I'm fully back running and I can get these things all ironed out.  Or at least get out of bed and not look like an 80-year old hobbling to the bathroom.

What - the - hell - ??

I didn't get a chance this week to spend much time putting a real, though provoking, laughter inducing, or meaningful entry about 'flexible'.  You'll have to deal with what you got.

Thanks for being flexible.

12 comments:

  1. Nice. I can relate to the juice and the hamstring. Hang in there. I learned so much at PT and am a better runner for it, I think. You will be too. So far, 40 has sucked but it is getter better. You will be better before 40 so that is a plus. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nicole! I like PT and have learned so much. Even if it is the fact that I may never be able to be a gymnast. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. PT will always find something stiff and unflexible otherwise they are out of business. I liked your post and I too am late, more than just a day with entry for mommy's project, but I think we are doing pretty good. Some mommy's project participants haven't responded for months. Keep being flexible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Nat. What would they do if we weren't losing flexibility? :) I'm trying to get ahead of next week's entry because I'll be out of town. Now *that's* flexibility! LOL

      Delete
  4. I hate when that happens with the juice! Also a dilemma! Love your entries. They always have such great humor! It's hard getting older, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, Lauren. Oh, the juice. Or crackers, or milk, or cereal, or - whatever! Like my mom always told me, "Don't get old!"!

      Delete
  5. Ahhhh, flexibility....I got a lot more stretch marks AFTER my kids were born.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Lara! So true! And my voice can go much higher than I thought, which I found out when talking to my babies. ;) Flexibility!

      Delete
  6. I figure I'm pretty flexible (definitely not physially wise, althought I wish I were that way!) What do the numbers at the top of the blog titles mean, for example, 52:39?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's part of the Mommy's Project, which is one post each week for 52 weeks. We're on week 39. You can click the button on my blog to find out more!

      Delete
  7. Oh, geez, how many times have I had the juice conversation?? LOL Thanks for the laugh. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like I'm 80 years old also!! It takes me awhile to get movin

    ReplyDelete