Saturday, July 2, 2011

The running chronicles, it's been a while

Wow, the last run I posted was Mother's Day.  Yikes!  I've had lots of races since then, and one coming up again tomorrow.  Here's a snapshot of how the season has gone since May:

Memorial Day weekend was my first 10K ever.  I went into the race trying to remember it was my first 10, I didn't have to break land-speed records, and to take it easy.  The morning was humid, making it feel almost chilly and the air clammy.  It wasn't ideal, but wasn't awful.  I walked a lot in that race.  I hate walking.  I was hot in the race shirt, 100% cotton, and my long sleeved running shirt and it took its toll on me about half way through.  I finished the race in one hour, which was actually a pretty good time considering that it was my first race at that distance.  I beat myself up, mentally, during and after the race, and it took me the better part of the week to recover from that.

The following weekend I had my 2nd 10K, the United Run for the Zoo.  It was a really cool race, and I got to run with my friend, Katie*.  Our husbands and kids all came, too, and it was great to have my family there for a race.  The kids were all signed up for the Zebra Zip, something I think I was looking more forward to than the kids

This 10K was better.  It was warm, but not hot, and the course was really beautiful, including a good stretch right through the zoo!  Seriously, we ran right by the llamas, bears, and at least four habitats where I couldn't see what animals were in them.  The final few miles were all along the lake front, my favorite part of the race.  We stuck to our goal of starting out slower, closer to 9:30/mile, and it felt really good.  For once, I realized I was using the Garmin for good, rather than just to drive myself nuts.  I hung on pretty well and didn't even feel tired for at least three miles.  Right at 4.45 miles, however, it all caught up to me and I walked.  For no reason.  I just waved to Katie and told her I was going to walk, and she kept on.  My legs were confused, having no idea what I was asking them to do. Walk?  But, why?  My legs kept trying to run, but my body and mind just didn't catch on.  What the hell??  Somehow, despite all my walking (again), I still finished in one hour, only 30 seconds slower than the week before.  Holy hell!

The following weekend, I ran in the 5th Annual Wisconsin Run/Walk to Stop the Cycle of CVS.  This race was a 5K, and when I found out about the race, I thought it would be great to do a 5K after two 10's to see how I would do after conquering the longer distance.  Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome (CVS) is an illness which effects both children and adults, including my neighbor, Nina.  Nina suffers from several chromosomal anomolies and disorders, and CVS is just one of the many complicated health issues she faces.  When her mom asked if I would be interested in doing this race, I couldn't say no.  To help be a part of an event to help raise money for a great cause, and run a race to do so, right up my alley!

The race was great.  A simple, rectangular route around a great park along the river in downtown Waukesha, WI.  My 5K PR was 26 minutes, and if I could come close to that, I'd be happy.  As it turned out, I did.  I came in just shy of 26 minutes!  It was a great feeling.

That afternoon, I headed back home and volunteered at the Ragnar Relay until that evening.  I met some great people during that afternoon, and resolved that next year I'll be running with a team.  It was a great experience.

My next race is tomorrow, almost a month since my last race.  Tomorrow is a 10K near home, and I admit that I'm quite nervous.  I haven't run quite as much since my last race, and my diet on vacation in Canada didn't really do much for all the weight I have lost the past few months.  I'm getting my things set, and just finished my play list, which was no easy task.  I'll suffice it to say that when your iTunes decides you no longer have a library on the computer you're using, it makes it really tough to make changes to your play list.  And so, here is tomorrow's play list.

Can't You Tell - Vetiver
Leaving On The 5th - Voxhaul Broadcast
Say It Right - Nelly Furtado
Helena Beat - Foster The People
Over The Ocean - Best Coast
Raise Your Glass - P!nk
Let's Get It Started - BEP
Pumped Up Kicks - FTP
Dog Days Are Over - Florence + The Machine
Future Starts Slow - The Kills
Big Time Sensuality - Bjork
U + Ur Hand - P!nk
Mirrorage - Glasser
Sober - P!nk
Been Caught Stealing - Jane's Addiction

And I hope I don't need all those songs!  My goal is to hit 55 minutes tomorrow.  I think I can, I think I can.....

1 comment:

  1. I'm totally laughing at the "starting out slower, closer to 9:30/mile" line, just because my average, decent "I've had a good run a feel great!" pace is around 12:30/mile. :) You are amazing, and I hope to be making posts like this soon!

    ReplyDelete