Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Exfoliative keratolysis: good update

After years of struggling with peeling, bleeding hands, I can safely say that the skin on my hands has never been as healthy as it is today.  I'm still using the products I mentioned in my last update, and here's how they're working. 

Aside from a couple small air blisters which have surfaced, my hands have been free of peeling for at least two months.  I have been using the Gold Bond Ultimate Restoring CoQ10, and it's wonderful.  I am still happy with the product, and my 4.5 oz tube has been plenty over the last month or two since I bought it.  I use it throughout the day, and reapply when I wash my hands or when they start to feel dry.  When I do see a blister, I apply the lotion to that area, and it seems to mitigate the damage that could otherwise occur.  I'll invest in another tube soon, and a pump of it for the house. 

As for my feet, I've found equal success from using Kerasal.  I noticed a difference in my feet within two days (reduced irritation from deep peeling, healing peeled areas, and softening of the skin on the heel and ball of foot, as well as other rough areas).  I am a runner, and my feet take a good beating, but looking at them now, you'd never know.  My heels are not peeling now, and show no signs of cracking or bleeding like they normally do this time of year.  Within two weeks or so, my feet were completely healed and showed no signs of the previous peeling and cracking that they had for months prior.  I used the first tube pretty quickly, using it daily for just under one week, then weekly for a few weeks.  I'm on my second tube, and by using it weekly I estimate it will last me another month or two (I use less for maintainence than I did to stimulate healing), unless I have another flare with peeling.  I just learned from their web site that they have a rewards program, and a free sock offer, so I'll be jumping on that for sure!

I'm no foot or hand model, so you won't get any pictures, sorry about that.  Suffice it to say, I'm typing this with no pain, no Band-Aids on my fingers, and no swelling anywhere on my hands.  It's amazing the difference that using the right topical products has made in the health of the skin on my hands and feet.  I'm so glad I did the research and found something that works.  I hope that if you're suffering from something similar, that you're able to find relief, as well.

6 comments:

  1. I've never found ANYTHING to help heal (or prevent) the painful cracks that appear on my thumbs in the winter. I'm going to try the Gold Bond product. If it works, it will save me lots of misery--Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While the GB was just the first lotion with urea that I tried, I am definitely sold. It's really amazing the difference when your skin is actually healed. I hope this winter your skin is better than it has been!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever been diagnosed with an auto immune disorder like MS or otherwise? I'm wondering if this is a an auto immune response...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question, I have not been diagnosed as such. Since it's only on my hands, and sometimes my feet, I don't think it would be auto immune, but, I guess there's always a chance. I have changed my diet (removed grains and dairy), and only just started a mild breakout a week or so ago. This is almost a month later than normal, and it's not anywhere near as bad as it normally gets.

      Delete
  4. Once you get this, is it permanent like does it stick with you for life? I'm 18 and this is my first time I've had EK and started in the early days of Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My hands and feet started peeling sheets of skin in January of 2012 and have been in a state of disrepair since. Until 2 months ago. I took dairy out of my diet just to see if it would help with breathing, as I'm an avid cyclist. To my shock and utter disbelief, within 48-72 hours, my hands healed themselves and have been in the best shape since before this happened. The times I have had a meal with butter or cream in the past 2 months, I have seen my skin react. Dairy is most definitely the primary contributor to EK in my case. I would highly suggest trying to take all dairy out of yours.

    ReplyDelete