Friday, January 6, 2012

I think I can, I know I can - I will!

When I began running in 2009, I never would have imagined that I would be saying, "I'm going to run a marathon".  Running to the end of the street after one of my kids who decided to take off while Mommy wasn't looking was about as much as I could muster.  Even then, I usually reached said child with barely a breath left in myself and was glad their legs only got them to the corner.  I hadn't run more than that since college, and even then, I ran to get to places, it was purely out of necessity.  There was no "doing it for fun" or challenge to go farther or faster.

Today, I stand ready to challenge myself in ways I never have before.  To take it to the next level, to go one (OK, many) step further.  I have set some goals for myself, more than just to run a certain number of races or do a few more 10K's.  I really want to push myself, and I want to do so much more.  I want to lose a few pounds, improve my mental state, and minimize the symptoms of ADD, SAD, and acid reflux.  I want to do more than I did in 2011.

I've been inspired by others who have announced their goals for this year.  In a way, I feel like I need to measure up and pony up with a challenge to myself which is equal to that which others are posing to themselves.  This year, I want to really have the feeling, deep down, that I am a runner.  I want to really feel like I belong in the category of those who go great distances, and at the lowest level, I want that magnet on the back of my car, declaring "I went 26.2".

I feel like an entry like this should contain some profound statement, a deep thought, or sage advice.  Let's face it, I'm just a woman who started running a couple years ago, there isn't anything deep or sage about it. 

Running has given me a confidence I never thought I'd have.  The thought of putting on shorts and a t-shirt and hitting the pavement, where other people could see me (and all the jiggles that I bring to the table), was terrifying just two years ago.  OK, it's still somewhat scary.  I am truly amazed at myself that I've let go of so much of the insecurity I carry with me, and today I only think once (not twice) before sporting a fitting tek shirt and running shorts or tights.  Some may argue I should think three times, but hey, I call it progress. {look past those love handles, please}

So here I am, ready to challenge myself for 2012.  I'm ready.  I'm willing.  And here I go.

  • I will run the Chicago Marathon in October 2012
  • I set a goal of 1,000 miles for the year 2012.  I did about 500(-ish) in 2011.
  • I want to lose 10 lbs and keep them off, even in December
  • I will keep track of my mileage via my Garmin and dailymile
 I have a great support system and I know I can do this.  I also have wine and coffee, just to be extra sure. 

With the support of my family and friends (and let's not forget some good shoes), I am ready to move forward and give what it takes to meet these challenges.  I have successfully completed two Biggest Loser competitions at work, so I know I can amend my diet to aid my goal of losing 10 lbs.  I joined a racing team last July, from which I draw experience, support, and training, and I have a wonderful husband who has agreed that he is on board with watching his wife train for and run 26.2 {let's not tell him what he's really in for, OK?}.

Have you set goals for yourself in 2012?  I like the word "goal" rather than "resolution", don't you?  For some reason a resolution sounds like something to break and not keep with, whereas a goal is something to strive for, something attainable. 

OK, let's get this show on the road!