Friday, January 6, 2012

I think I can, I know I can - I will!

When I began running in 2009, I never would have imagined that I would be saying, "I'm going to run a marathon".  Running to the end of the street after one of my kids who decided to take off while Mommy wasn't looking was about as much as I could muster.  Even then, I usually reached said child with barely a breath left in myself and was glad their legs only got them to the corner.  I hadn't run more than that since college, and even then, I ran to get to places, it was purely out of necessity.  There was no "doing it for fun" or challenge to go farther or faster.

Today, I stand ready to challenge myself in ways I never have before.  To take it to the next level, to go one (OK, many) step further.  I have set some goals for myself, more than just to run a certain number of races or do a few more 10K's.  I really want to push myself, and I want to do so much more.  I want to lose a few pounds, improve my mental state, and minimize the symptoms of ADD, SAD, and acid reflux.  I want to do more than I did in 2011.

I've been inspired by others who have announced their goals for this year.  In a way, I feel like I need to measure up and pony up with a challenge to myself which is equal to that which others are posing to themselves.  This year, I want to really have the feeling, deep down, that I am a runner.  I want to really feel like I belong in the category of those who go great distances, and at the lowest level, I want that magnet on the back of my car, declaring "I went 26.2".

I feel like an entry like this should contain some profound statement, a deep thought, or sage advice.  Let's face it, I'm just a woman who started running a couple years ago, there isn't anything deep or sage about it. 

Running has given me a confidence I never thought I'd have.  The thought of putting on shorts and a t-shirt and hitting the pavement, where other people could see me (and all the jiggles that I bring to the table), was terrifying just two years ago.  OK, it's still somewhat scary.  I am truly amazed at myself that I've let go of so much of the insecurity I carry with me, and today I only think once (not twice) before sporting a fitting tek shirt and running shorts or tights.  Some may argue I should think three times, but hey, I call it progress. {look past those love handles, please}

So here I am, ready to challenge myself for 2012.  I'm ready.  I'm willing.  And here I go.

  • I will run the Chicago Marathon in October 2012
  • I set a goal of 1,000 miles for the year 2012.  I did about 500(-ish) in 2011.
  • I want to lose 10 lbs and keep them off, even in December
  • I will keep track of my mileage via my Garmin and dailymile
 I have a great support system and I know I can do this.  I also have wine and coffee, just to be extra sure. 

With the support of my family and friends (and let's not forget some good shoes), I am ready to move forward and give what it takes to meet these challenges.  I have successfully completed two Biggest Loser competitions at work, so I know I can amend my diet to aid my goal of losing 10 lbs.  I joined a racing team last July, from which I draw experience, support, and training, and I have a wonderful husband who has agreed that he is on board with watching his wife train for and run 26.2 {let's not tell him what he's really in for, OK?}.

Have you set goals for yourself in 2012?  I like the word "goal" rather than "resolution", don't you?  For some reason a resolution sounds like something to break and not keep with, whereas a goal is something to strive for, something attainable. 

OK, let's get this show on the road!

5 comments:

  1. You got this! The real question is, where is your goal to "Run More Races with Lindsay"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack, I *knew* I'd left something out! That, of course, is paramount for 2012. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do it. Great list of goals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see the 26.2 sticker on your car. Great goals. Again it will be fun to hear about your training for Chicago as I too train for the race. I also love that we will be both be going for the 1,000+++ miles- we will have to be on top of each other to get this done. Your running team will help you out but more importantly it is sooo important that your husband is on board. You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, we can cheer each other on through out the year! Thanks for the supportive words. You're right, it will help to support and stay on top of each other as we train.
    I am so looking forward to 2012!!

    ReplyDelete