Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Where Ethel beats Mommy in a race

Thanks for sticking with me while I update all the racing I've been doing so far!

June is my favorite month of the year.  It has the longest day of the year, school ends, and summer begins.  The days are long, the sun is plentiful, and the grill is going almost non-stop.  On top of all that, there are so many races, it's hard not to race every weekend.  Well, for me it is.

I was not 100% in the week following Soldier Field, but, I did feel better each day, which led me to believe that my body was getting stronger and adjusting to running again.  Sure, I know SF10 was a lot of miles, more than I'd done since, basically, October, but, I did it and felt good.  I watched my body and didn't push too hard (aside from doing 10 miles, of course).  So when it came to whether or not to sign up for a 5K race that counted toward my racing team minimum, I bit the bullet and signed up.  I figured a 5K couldn't be that tough, especially since I just managed 10 miles (well, 13.5 for the weekend if you want to be picky).

My first race of June was a community based 5K benefiting a local Tourette Syndrome organization.  I signed the kids up for the kids' race part of the event (0.6 mi) so that we could make a family morning out of it.  It was a warm morning, but, not too hot.  I should have known this wasn't going to be my race when I realized at the starting line that I'd forgotten my iPod in my bag back at the team tent, and it was too late to retrieve it when I figured this out.  I was so wrapped up trying to make sure I got to the bathroom in time before the start, that I completely forgot to go back for the music!  Whatever.

Since it was just a 5K, there's not a lot of race to report about, aside from my very fast 8:15 first mile with a running buddy from the team, and the side stitch I ended up with for the last .75 mile.  Oh, and the pain in my hip for the last 1.5 miles.  Regardless, I was glad to get back to a 5K and finish, despite my pitiful (to me) time.

The kids both did well in the kids dash.  It was hysterical to watch the gaggle of kids at the starting line,  and despite the bottle neck at the start, they all did really well.  Ethel took off like a bat out of hell and I never saw her 'til the finish.  Fred got caught behind the diaper crowd and trotted along enjoying the scenery, but luckily didn't finish last.  He declared, "Wow, this is going to be a really long race!", with a huge smile on his face.

We're happy to be here, Mommy

 Ethel got a 3rd place finish in the 7-8 year old division and received a nice pint glass.  Mommy, of course, thinks it's a great Summer Shandy glass for summer.  For Mommy, of course.

Pretending not to be beaming about her prize

I was pretty sore after this one, I'm not going to lie.  I stretched as much as I could that day, and tried not to focus on the pain and the time, but some things are easier said than done.