Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Diary of a picky eater, update

A Healthy SnackImage by ahockley via FlickrSince the day she was sick at school, I've been working with Ethel to feel safe and secure, and make sure she's rested and has a full tummy.  Fatigue and hunger lead quickly to mood swings, and when you're six and you don't know that, you end up with a huge attitude.  It's not easy to try to keep Crabby Patty at bay and keep her tummy from running on empty, but we're managing with lots of pasta and some oatmeal breakfasts.


We got a recommendation for a psychiatrist and I made an appointment to see her with Ethel in August.  I explained to the doctor that I don't know where to turn or what the right avenue is, but I think there is some level of anxiety surrounding Ethel's use of food as a control item and her resistance to going to places because of food.

In the meantime, I'm doing my best to give Ethel areas of control, whether it be choosing what shape pasta to eat, rewarding her for feeding the cats without being asked, or letting her pour her own cereal and milk in the morning.

She's been doing really well when it comes to going to camp at day care, and she hasn't had any protest about going places due to food.  I feel better knowing that we will soon be able to talk to someone and come a little closer to knowing how to handle whatever it is that's going on in Ethel's world that's causing her this angst.

And the journey continues....
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment