Thursday, March 1, 2012

Mommy's Project 52:31 Singing

I have a passion for music.  If it weren't for a decent case of stage fright and overall shyness, I might have pursued a degree in music in college.  Still, I performed in various music ensembles throughout late elementary, junior high, high school, and college; both instrumental and vocal. 

I would never try to say I was a totally awesome singer or floutist.  I played and sang, I held my own, and performed in all four of our bands and our large choirs in high school {to call it a large music program doesn't do it justice}.  It rocked.  For me, being involved in music in high school gave me purpose and helped me develop friendships that would have been difficult for me to make outside the common thread we shared; music.

Playing flute and piccolo, I was able to 'hide behind' my instrument in performance {note: stage fright}, so I didn't find it terribly difficult to perform in band.  I was never a solo caliber player, nor did I ever do much more than anchor my section, but, I loved every minute of it.  I was challenged by the music we played, I was coached in private instruction, and I was inspired by the talent that surrounded me in my bandmates.  Several have gone on to have successful careers in music, from local to national and even world-wide fame in their endeavours. 

I began singing in elementary school in music class.  In junior high, a friend and I became close with the chorus teacher, Mrs. B.  She was this larger than life figure, a robust woman of Italian descent who kept my friend and I busy by having us collate and staple music, organize her class room, and general housekeeping things she needed done when my friend and I had some free time {which we created just for the chance to be with Mrs. B}.  This was where I first learned to love singing.

Some of my favorite singing memories, though, are from high school.  I recently wrote a short essay about one of those memories, which I'll share right here.

Songs of Good Cheer, in 252 words
 
G.F. Handel’s Hallelujah Chorus is one of the most widely played pieces during the holidays.  Some might argue that it’s one of the most over played, as well.  Regardless, the Chorus is one of my favourite pieces to perform at Christmas time, having performed it countless times throughout high school.  It was the signature song of our high school music department holiday festival every year. 
 
One December night my junior year, I invited a group of my musically talented friends to come caroling in my neighborhood.  It was bitter, booger-freezing, cold that night, with temperatures below zero and a winter “don’t go outside if you don’t have to" warning.  We caroled as much as our bodies and lungs could stand, taking in frozen air with every breath, but it was well worth it. 

After spreading Christmas cheer to a few houses, we retreated to my house where it was toasty warm by the fire.  That night, in my living room, with my closest friends, we sang a set of holiday songs, and finished with our signature song.  We sang it with everything we had.  It was natural, fun and beautiful.  It was meaningful.  It was everything music should be, and I was sharing it with the most important people in my life at that time, my parents, my grandmother, (our audience of three) and my fellow musicians.  My grandmother reminded me of how much she enjoyed that performance several times in the years that followed.  That meant more to me than any audience applause ever did.
 
How do you get to Carnegie Hall?  We took a bus from the hotel.
After almost a year of practice, practice, practice!
There were many other instances of meaningful singing in high school, not the least of which was performing at Carnegie Hall.  In April of my junior year, our Concert and Swing Choirs were invited to perform with vocal groups from around the country, about 1,000 students total from schools across the US.  We were invited to perform under the direction of conductor and arranger, John Rutter, whose Requiem was the cornerstone piece of the evening.  I'll never forget staring out at the sea of red seats during rehearsal, and being blinded by the stage lights on our big night.  It was an amazing experience, one which I will never forget.

I tried to pursue more musical opportunity in college, but, the program was not one which could compare to the program I had come from.  I was disappointed, and not confident in my talents, so after two years of trying to find a niche in the program, I ended my participation in their band and choir. 

I miss singing in a choir, and have often thought about finding one I could sing with.  In the meantime, I settle for being asked to sing karoke with friends and singing to my Glee CD's in the car (yes, I am a Gleek).  After being diagnosed with acid reflux and resulting vocal nodes, I rather resolved myself to private performances in my head for a while.  The nodes brought me from a soprano to, at best, a decent alto, so my range changed, and this was after many years of sudden onset laryngitis.

I digress.  Suffice it to say, singing has played a major part in my life, and it's something I will always treasure, even if just in the confines of my car.  

1 comment:

  1. My music teacher in Jr. High was named "Mr. B". How funny!! I wonder if they were related;)

    ReplyDelete