Thursday, February 2, 2012

Mommy's Project 52:27 Saving


A few years ago, before my mom moved out of her house, into mine, then out of mine and out of state, she opened up a treasure trove of memories.  Her cedar chest held some of the most precious items from her past, including items from my, my sister's, my father's, and her childhood.  It's amazing to sit with your mom and go through items from the past, whether they mean something to you or not.  The items themselves may not have monetary value, but the memories they provide are simply priceless.

In going through the cedar chest, my mom told us (me and my sister) stories about times when she was younger, when we were babies, and gave anecdotes about grandparents and beyond.  We learned things we hadn't known before, were reminded of things we did know, and listened to her memories of shared experiences.  There is no better way to pass on family history and folklore, and to remind us of, or learn about, family traditions.

There is no way you could ever say my mom is anything near a pack rat.  I clearly remember her purging items from cabinets and closets on a regular basis, and there was no stopping the process.  I have an uncle, though, who is clearly the opposite.  He's highly organized, knows where everything is, but, he has more stuff than almost anyone I know.  Most of it is pretty cool, some would probably be considered 'collectible', and I would imagine some of it might be Antiques Road Show worthy.  That said, I grew up with examples on both ends of the saving spectrum.
This is how my room feels sometimes...
and how it probably could be if I
lived alone


So when it came to trying to decide what to save for my children, I had to make sure my emotions didn't take over and force me to save every cute outfit, every tiny pair of socks, and every little hand print picture from day care.  

No hoarding, no saving just for my own sake, but saving things that I think they will enjoy hearing stories about...

bracelets from the hospital

the t-shirt we got for Ethel to announce #2 ("I'm the big sister!") 

each of their first pair of shoes

some hand print pictures, I couldn't help myself

I've saved things that I think my kids will appreciate when they become adults, when they get married, when they have children of their own.  More than pictures, tangible items from your past are links in the chain that makes up your history.  

Pictures aren't the only thing whose value can be measured in words.

In sitting with my mom, going through the treasures in her cedar chest, I got to hear stories about all of my grandparents, my father, and what life was like for my mom as a new mother.  As a mother myself, I could relate to many of the challenges she faced as a new mom, but realized how different things are today and how much has changed in the {ahem, a few, who's counting?} years since I was born.

The problem with saving things, however, is 

where the hell do I keep all this stuff??

Hot Dad and I took on the challenge of organizing the things we've saved, along with our crap 'things', in January of 2011.  You don't realize how much crap stuff you have until you decide to find a place for it all.

This 'storage' area looks much different today,
one year later
We are fortunate enough to have an unfinished basement with room to put our crap stuff, and hide it nicely in a corner.  Well, the 'in a corner' part is true.

Let's put saving into perspective...

My daughter is now into collecting.  Her version of saving things for the future.  From rocks to leaves to anything she finds on the ground, she has several collections of junk stuff.  It doesn't help that Don from Dinosaur Train (one of Ethel and Fred's fav shows) collects things.  If only Ethel were collecting dinosaur teeth, fossils, and other valuable artifacts like Don.  Not much of that in modern day suburbia.  

Nope, Ethel collects stuff like this...

Bert's got nothing on Ethel's collection

...and this...

Who doesn't want a toilet paper tube collection?
Why do kids insist on saving stuff like this??

I'm really none to judge.  I won't show you that corner in the basement right now. 

Let's tangent here for a second.  Tell me I'm not the only one looking at this list and saying, "Ya, so, I might need that!", or "That's worth some money!".

Pack n Play

Small cooler (last used in 1997)

Collar or tag from a beloved pet

Cassette tapes
{extra points if you still have a tape player in your car - and still use it!}

CD's
{extra points if they're still in the jewel boxes}

LPs
{album art, a lost art}

Posters from your dorm room in college
Ticket stubs from your favorite concerts

Your first computer 
{which was probably a 486 - extra points if you still have the floppy discs!!}


In the end, there are two words for things you've saved over the years.

GARAGE SALE

4 comments:

  1. Where did you find that first pic of the messy room?? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too funny, right? I just did a general image search online for hoarding. I couldn't resist!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Ethel's collections. My son is into collecting all kinds of things too. Ours include lots of rocks and he really likes finding old bolts, nuts, screws, or hinges. Those are truly special. He also likes looking for fossils but those are harder to find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saving is tough to figure out sometimes. I feel like once a year my hubby and me purge the storage room in the basement and yet another year passes and the room needs to be purged again. I love kids saving collections- Ethel's is great!

    ReplyDelete