Saturday, November 26, 2016

To my daughter upon turning 12

Dear Ethel,

Twelve years ago, you made me a Mommy. The last 12 years have gone by quickly at times, and I often wish I could hit a pause button so I could enjoy some of those times for longer. As much as I want it to sometimes, time doesn’t stop, and you have grown into a beautiful, funny, smart, and happy young lady.

Nothing has made me more proud than being your mom. Watching you take your first steps, get and lose your first teeth, start your first day of kindergarten, and eventually get on the school bus headed for sixth grade, it’s all magical to witness as a Mommy. You have always handled new adventures, challenges, and stages in your life with determination and confidence.

I want you to always know that I love you and I am proud of who you are. We have our difficult times, but we have fun times, too. I treasure all the times we have together. I enjoy seeing you with your friends because it is very clear that they enjoy your company, they respect you, and they know what a good friend you are to them.

You are sensitive, kind, empathetic, and loving. You are confident, proud, and strong. You are funny, quick-witted, and smart. You are learning some independence and showing more responsibility at school and at home. It is exciting to watch you develop and grow into the person that you are, and to see your extreme interest in the world around you. Your imagination and sense of humor are a joy and amaze me every day. I adore that you love astronomy and the universe, you get great enjoyment from music, and both of those things open up a whole world of opportunity for you.

I hope that you enjoy your 12th birthday and all the birthdays that lie ahead. I am excited for all that your birthdays have in store for you as you continue to grow. May all your birthday wishes come true, baby girl. Remember, Mommy loves you. I always have, and I always will.

Love,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment